So this is the best granola in the world. I know because I asked everyone I know to try it and they became immediately addicted. So, now I’m writing this up so they can all have the recipe and I won’t have to supply them anymore.
I got the base recipe from this Coco-Nutty Granola recipe at MindBodyGreen.com (I love this website!) and I’ve been experimenting with different ingredients and quantities. I have fun looking in my cupboards and using things I find to change up the combination every time, but I also think I’ve found the magic combination of whole foods (check out recipe below).
This all-natural, all-organic granola is not low-calorie by any means, but it is made of 100% super foods that are gluten-free and you can control the sugar. And if you need a low-sugar delicious green smoothie to go along with it, try this one!
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups coconut flakes (use large flakes, not shredded coconut)
- 2 cups organic quick oats
- 2 cups nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, etc.) or seeds (pumpkin, pepita, pine nuts, etc.), chopped roughly - I like to use a combination
- ½ cup organic flaxseed
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 or 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ginger or other spice of your choice
- ¼ to ½ cup coconut sugar, evaporated cane juice or honey, to taste - the amount of sweetener is up to you
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well combined. Place parchment paper in a cookie or cake pan big enough for one layer of granola.
- Pour granola mixture into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Stir granola or turn the pan halfway through cooking time.
- If you like it crunchier, let it cook to a darker color. Just keep checking & stirring until you get your perfect crunch!