When you’re craving your favorite movie treat in the middle of summer – what to do? Make Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream, that’s what.
This recipe came from a 12-year old die-hard going-to-the-movies fan, when she missed being able to go to cinemas in 2020. Her parents own Peasant’s Feast in Solvang, so they encouraged her in the kitchen, then promptly put her creations on the menu. Read all about it here.
Now you can make it yourself!
Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup popping corn kernels
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- sea salt for garnish
- To prepare the Popcorn Ice Cream, heat 1 T butter in a big stock pot. Add corn and put the lid on, paying attention to turn it off after it all pops.
- Heat 2 cups whole milk in a pan to a bare simmer, add 2 cups popcorn, cover and turn it off. Leave it until it’s room temperature, about 1 hour. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Return popcorn milk to pan, add 1 T butter and heat to medium.
- In a separate bowl, combine 3 egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar; whisk until smooth. Add a cup of warmed popcorn milk to the egg mixture and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture back into the pan with remaining popcorn milk. Heat to 165 degrees, whisking constantly. Strain it again, then refrigerate completely.
- Freeze according to ice cream maker directions. Serve with a little fleur de sel (sea salt).