There is actually something more delicious than cold, ripe watermelon in the heat of summer, and it’s grilled watermelon! Chef Robert Perez of The Black Sheep in Santa Barbara sears watermelon, caramelizing it for this summer salad. And it’s more delicious.
Grilled Watermelon Salad
Perfect for summer, plus pretty easy to make it look fancy.
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 ripe watermelon
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- basil olive oil
- 1 radish thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pistachios toasted
- micro basil for garnish
- Make red wine syrup by heating red wine, vinegar, sugar and rosemary to a boil, then turn down and simmer for a few minutes. Let Cool.
- Blanch tomatoes, let cool, then peel and chop.
- Cut watermelon into 3 inch-long rectangles, 1 inch thick, and remove peel and seeds.
- Sprinkle the watermelon with olive oil, salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan, skillet or grill on high, then place the watermelon on hot grill for 2 to 3 minutes to get some nice grill marks. Turn it over to about a minute, just to warm the other side.
- On a plate, spread some basil-infused olive oil, then drizzle it with red wine syrup. Place watermelon on top.
- Top with tomato concassé (blanched, peeled, seeded & chopped tomatoes), sliced radish, toasted pistachios and micro basil.
Leave a Reply