You can’t go wrong with anything from weekend brunch menu at Jane at the Marketplace in Goleta. But if you can’t make it there, you can get their own recipe for this easy Crab Benedict made with Santa Barbara Rock Crab. Read all about the crab, this dish, and the restaurant here.
Tip: When making this dish, try this easy Hollandaise sauce from Simply Recipes.
Rock Crab Eggs Benedict
- 1 whole rock crab fresh or thawed
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2-4 slices tomato
- 6 spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- herbs or chives for garnish
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Boil the crab in salted water for 10-15 minutes, then cool and crack the crab and remove the meat.
- Slice 2 pieces of bread (or slice a bun in half), then grill the slices in clarified butter (you can sautée in a skillet) until slightly browned and toasted.
- Place each slice on a plate, and top them with sliced tomatoes and fresh spinach.
- Makes Hollandaise sauce by blending egg yolks, lemon, salt, and vinegar for at least 30 seconds. Then keep the blender running and slowly pour in the melted butter, then add a tiny spot of hot water at the end (this makes it lighter and more delicate).
- Poach 2 eggs, then add one to each bun, top with the fresh Hollandaise and garnish with herbs or chives.